Saturday, September 27, 2008

HERE WE GO . . . LIVING THROUGH
HURRICANE IKE

WARNING: The next, oh, 20 entries contain mucho pictures. Are you proud of me?? Enter at your own risk for marathon hurricane coverage. This first post's pictures are off the net, and closer to downtown where the real damage was. The rest of the posts are photos I've taken around our area. We really were blessed and had minimal damage. Power outage and trees on homes is nothing compared to what happened to others.


I love this map. Haha. Could we be anymore on the bullseye??



So, WHY DIDN'T WE EVACUATE? Some of you have asked.

1. Because Kingwood area (40 miles outside of Houston) was not a mandatory evacuation zone. They actually asked us all to stay, so those trying to get out could make it through the hours and hours of traffic already on the road. When the last hurricane came through here (Rita), many people died on the road from heat exhaustion and starvation because the freeways were at a standstill for days and people ran out of gas and food.

2. Because I am a nurse, it was mandatory for me to help at the hospital during this.

Here's a few photos of Houston area's aftermath.
Galveston Beach, about 40 miles from us, was completely demolished.






For all my horsie girls, I thought you'd like this one. Sad, huh?

This was before the storm even hit shore! Check out those waves.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

WOW I'm so glad you are all safe and that you documented it all. It was crazy to see the difference of your stream in the before and after shots and those trees were wild!! Amen on the blessings of being prepared. Love you!

Amy Beatty said...

Matt saw your post before I did and he couldn't stop talking about it. So we both sat and looked at it forever. It's so crazy and just really scary but all so natural. I'm so glad you took so many amazing pictures. Hopefully you won't have to go through another one. I can't get over all the damage and how many years and how much money it will take to get this back to looking the same. I'm so glad you guys are safe and already counting your blessings. You guys are awesome!! much love going your way xoxo love you - amy