Wow. I never thought we'd go through something like that. Probably truly the scariest night of my life. It was such an eerie feeling knowing this huge storm was going to pass right over you during the night. We were told the eye of the hurricane was supposed to pass over us around 4AM. Here is a brief journaling of the night...
Friday, September 12, 2008
The rain started about midnight. Then the power went on and off for about an hour. About 1AM we lost all power and the wind gusts were really getting strong. 2AM: the wind and rain was just slamming against the side of the house--it was SO loud. The house was creaking in the walls and attic. Austin started crying and we brought him right next to our bed. About 3AM, Austin finally fell asleep (I have no idea how he did--it was so freakin' loud).
Now and then, my brother, Kyle (has been staying with us the past few weeks) would walk in and quietly say, "Did you guys here that?" Each time the wind gusts would slam against the house, my heart would pound, my stomach would twist in knots, and Mike and I would squeeze each other's hands. I seriously thought many times, "Is this going to be the one to take the roof off?" We just lay in bed, still...waiting, for it to end.
4AM it was quiet. The "eye" of the hurricane was directly over us. I didn't know this, but the eye is about 20 miles wide and is quiet and still.
4:30AM sleep finally took over. We must have been exhausted, because none of us woke up again until about 7AM, when we heard the slamming again.
Keira slept through the whole thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Gosh Kari that was just like my experience. It is so scarey yet afterward it is so exciting. I wish I could have been with yall too! Can you believe Cho and his brothers slept through the WHOLE THING?!
Post a Comment