Sunday, May 4, 2008

Shattered Glass and a Sweet Moment




I was having an emotional day to begin with. Money was tight, Mike was in New York, and it was 4:30 (which if you have kids--may agree, can be "nasty hour"). I was making dinner and Austin was looking in the cupboard by my feet. Suddenly, I hear the sound of shattering glass. (Nice to note, I had of course, just barely swept and mopped the floor) My blender that we got for our wedding, that I love, that we make smoothies all the time with, was in pieces all over the floor. That was it, I was in overload. I just crumpled on the floor and started crying. Thinking about it later, I realized that was probably the first time he had seen me cry like that. He had the most worried look on his face. Patting my leg, he said, “OH mommy, don’t cry. It’s okay. It was just an accident. Don’t cry mommy. I’ll give you a hug.” Then, as if he had a revelation, said to me with bright eyes excitedly, “Mommy we can go to the store and get another one!!” The sobs just kept coming, “We don’t have any money to get another one,” I blubbered in tears. He thought about it for a second and then said, again proud of himself, “I’ll go get some moneys, Mommy!” Oh little Austin, what would I do without you? So innocent and pure. What a precious son you are.

Continuing glass story…
Even after scouring the floor a second time for the day, 20 minutes later, I managed to step on a sneaky, hidden piece of glass. I was pulling it out, with Austin peering over my shoulder, and he said, “Mom, did you not cry when the glass hurt you??” I said, “No, I didn’t Austin.” Then, melting my heart, he smiled and said, ‘Ahhh, what a good Mommy we have.” Ahhhhh, no matter what you guys do, you sure do make being a mom worth every bit of it!

6 comments:

Mandi said...

This story melted my heart again after already hearing it before. Such sweet innocence. You have a birthday coming up...Maybe you'll get a surprise in the mail!

Dave and Loralee said...

oh my sweet kari-I hate the thought of you crying! I wish we were all closer to each other so I could come over and be with you. and I just wanna give austin a huge hug-he is sooooooo great :)

simple mom/wife said...

Those evening hours get interesting, don't they? I love that our children can bring us back with smiles. Aren't they amazing? Way to go little Austin! You bring me smiles too! Love you Kari--I totally relate!

Anonymous said...

Been there with the meltdowns and I love the words he said! What gentle words! What a sweet boy!

Ari said...

Oh Kari, what a sweet boy. They are truly the reason to keep going. Theres going to be hard days and good days and it so nice to see the sweet spirits out of the little ones. Mine sure teach me a lot on how to be a better Mom, although it's hard. Hang in there, you are an amazing Mom and remember that Heavenly Father only gives us what we can handle although it's hard to see at that moment.

Jaimee said...

I love you guys so much! you guys are the sweetest family ever! I told my Mom and Dad I think you will all be twinkled one day!